14 years…. I am not sure where the time has gone, but somewhere in that period of time I have managed to have three kids, start a business as a Gloucestershire wedding photographer AND still fit in my wedding dress!!!
Now don’t take away my excitement by reminding me that my wedding dress is a lace up and so it has the luxury of being kind to my broken body; which may have eaten one to many Cadbury eggs…. I still fit!
I am heading into my seventh week of lockdown. Gloucestershire weddings are being postponed into August and I was feeling sad. I was down and needed something to make me smile. But most importantly something to help me remember why I am where I am. So I went to my wedding dress. Got it out. Put it on. And ran.
So let me tell you my 5 reasons on why you should really love your wedding dress:
- You will love it forever – years from now, when you pull it out you will still love it.
- You can share a memory with your children – My children know I am a wedding photographer and that I love my job. But to see me in my beautiful Maggie Sottero wedding dress for the first time they loved it (and they are all boys!) We even had a bounce on the trampoline (do you know how hard it is to get on a trampoline in a corset!?)
- Remind your husband of your awesome day – I couldn’t get into my dress on my own. The mystery of appearing on the church aisle was long gone, but as my husband laced me into my dress he said, “now this dress and this moment I won’t forget”. Have a hug and a cuddle… maybe even a kiss and then smile… it feels so good.
- Relive the moment – I didn’t have a professional wedding photographer all day on my wedding day. My husband didn’t think we needed one (let’s not go there). So I did my hair, make up and then we went out … in my runners and relived the moment. I got into the back of the truck, we drove to a little lane and we laughed and reminded ourselves of the moments of why we got married. It was truly liberating. It was special.
- JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN – no reason to explain. Drink coffee in it. Do the laundry. Work from home…. in other words – just love the dress because it is yours and you have every right to just love it and live life!
ENJOY!!! If you decide to take my challenge, can you please tag me on your Instagram or Insta story with @redmaple13. I would love to celebrate this moment with you! Here’s to many happy memories in your dress. Long live love. Stay safe. Stay healthy. x
My Mini Shoot (Courtesy of husband and 10 year old son)
Pictures directed by my inspiring ten year old son